I'm going to participate, in my own half-ass way, in the Pantry Challenge that MoneySavingMom and FishMama are hosting. My rule is that at least once a week, we'll use up some food item that has been lurking around. Such as:
- a few nights ago I made Veggie Sloppy Joes with some TVP we've been keeping in the cupboard. I can't remember when we bought it, so I'm sure it's time to be used up.
- I also made this recipe from Smitten Kitchen that used up a bag of dried red beans and some Jasmine rice. Both also with an unknown month of purchase.
Other items I want to make use of:
- a jar of mung beans that we bought for sprouting. We always lose steam and forget to rinse the sprouts, and they rot. if we stay on top of it, it's a good wintertime food source.
- lots of rice (brown and jasmine) and canned beans.
- quinoa. It's been around awhile. I might need more than 10 fingers to count how long.
- cranberries- 2 bags. I wanted to try my hand at canning this summer, but couldn't seem to act on it while the Farmer's Market was going. Act II= cranberry sauce!
- about 8 bags of rice flour. Bought on close-out back when I thought I had a gluten problem.
- 3 half-full cans of powdered cocoa. They disappear and we keep buying more.
- 1.5 bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 4-5 boxes of Red Mill cous-cous with flax seed. Bought on closeout.
- 2-3 cans of pumpkin.
- Several lbs of chicken in various forms in the fridge.
This isn't everything in the pantry, but it's all the stuff I'm tired of looking at.